September 25, 2008

Experiencing Ramadan

Exactly 21 days since I have start fasting. No food, no water from morning till iftar (which is like from 4am till 5:30ish pm). The days seam longer when you work and don't eat and drink, but somehow you learn to appreciate much more "the normality". You "learn" the taste of water, you "learn" the price of food, you "learn" to seize the time and to connect more with yourself and God - it develops a consciousness of being a better person, somehow.

When iftar comes, each family on this island celebrates and breaks the fast together. Dates, rice, sambousa, goat or chicken meat, fruits and sweets come as a bless. I don't really eat with my hands and I still don't use ya3ni, but I feel somehow, I'm becoming a Bahraini.. or if I'm not - I want to become as one. The people I'm surrounded by thought me what care is and I'm SO much thankful to that! (Who needs US when I have a financial crise of my own?!)

No comments: