July 03, 2008

Al Areen & Tree of Life


At Nada's family invitation, yesterday morning I went to Al Areen wildlife park. A nice place to see, with easy access to the variety of Arabian mammals, wild bird species and free roaming. Access to the park is by bus from the main entrance and the entire tour takes about 40 mins.
Was for the first time when I saw how the real desert looks like. It's impressive how dried is everything. For a moment, I remembered the green of my childhood's landscapes and how lucky were we, the kids of the rain.

After getting lost in the middle of the desert, we reached the Tree of Life - a 400 years old tree considered a wonder of the island - This unique tree stands alone in the desert about two kilometers from the Jebel Dukhan, without any source of water - they weren't able to explain yet how is this possible and what keeps this mesquite alive. It's tattooed all over by the people that visited it. It's indeed huge and powerful, but worth to be visited in the winter - spending 3 minutes at the tree, while traveling 40, isn't that encouraging when you have 45 degrees outside.

Had the first MC meeting with all its challenges and I freaked out when I saw my mates fighting. Was awesome, when ended up all laughing.

No comments: