May 29, 2009

It's not Like Flipping Coins

One month. One month of hungry expectations, of Want’s and Must’s, of Let’s Make it Happen. Today I got an e-mail… sort of “nu grai mult sh-ai sa canti.”

Managing a team that should deliver 2 events, dealing with hundreds of students and top companies, a strategic conference ahead…

And that’s when I realize once again how fragile AIESEC is. For a global organization with over 60 years of experience, with over 36,000 members and high caliber companies as partners, any outsiders will tend to believe that we’re smart enough to take care of our members.

Expansion countries are fragile and I can tell from my two years of experience. You never know who is going to take care of u. The love supply from members, the inner drive and personal ambitions can easily fade during such moments. Sometimes it’s just not enough.

How many times did we, actually, brought to the table during our global summits the VISA issue for our internationals MCs? With the same strength we manage to bring under one roof young people of 100 nationalities in Turkey, Brazil or Malaysia, we should be able to simple do-something for ensuring BASIC safety for our volunteers that working abroad.

I’m responsible for my choices and I was mentally prepared to take it all, with… whatever. But, as an organization, we’re on our half way through - there are almost 90 more countries to go. Too many stories. Isn’t the right time to reflect, conclude and improve?

*AIESEC is the international youth leadership development organization giving young people opportunities to develop their professional skills by running the management functions of the organization.
(www.aiesec.org)

... and I say this because...

Since 4 years, I’m awarding myself with opportunities thus, at the age of 24, I've been to more than 10 countries, visited 4 continents, making friends all over the world - building a huge network of people that have similar passions, interests and people that want to make difference in their own life and the lives of others.

For the past two years, AIESEC has given me the chance to work in a multicultural team managing one of the most prominent youth organizations. Last year I have been working in Central Asia, opening a new AIESEC chapter in Kyrgyzstan. On a daily basis, my work in a diverse environment required strong work ethics and ability to promptly adapt to various cultural differences and working styles.

In my current role, as a president of AIESEC in Bahrain, I practice cooperation with diverse portfolio of companies; I meet CEOs and lead 7 generations of members, who keep challenging and inspiring me for 9 months now. Nevertheless, my experience is also tied to being a team player and making the most of professional relationships. In all these lessons, I'm the apprentice. Yet, according to my job description, I'm supposed to be the master.

There is no other experience which could guarantee so much learning and entrepreneurial attitude at the age of 24.

One month left... for the grand finale, as my predecessor used to call it, and i'm not in the country. What else is there to say?...

No comments: