May 28, 2009

Libraries, Afternoons and Doga

I made a new habit of spending my afternoons in Assabil, the minuscule library, 5 minutes walk from the place I stay. The street that takes me there, is churned with antics stores, friendly old merchants welcoming you to their shops and vehicle of all sort squeezing between other vehicles, already parked on the sides of the road.

The match-box effect amplifies my mental exhaustion, which Beirut was giving me from the very first visit - it drains me to the core, and it gets me irascible when my ears fill up with outrageous honking cars… Oh my!They got style here.

I loved Assabil from the first moment. Even though it guards the cemetery, it feels very friendly. It kept bearing with me for 2 weeks now. Surrounded by shelves full with books, on a comfy green armchair, wrapped by a complete silence, I get to spend long afternoons into a fine trance work atmosphere. And it’s fine! I’ve been doing fine: from dejection till pumped hopes.

[A note to self - I’m getting old. I remember my grand ma’ asking for silence.]

When I want to take a break, I shift to books. Always had the feeling that reading a good book is like borrowing a superior brain. I Bought 4 more this week. Books.

For stress-free afternoons, funky bookstores are good too – but, according to my definition, it’s too much commerce lately – I don't know why it reminds me of all those top-notch people met in a networking event: they all look the same and say the same things.

Without worrying much about climate changing, I choose libraries, afternoons and Doga. Even when times are hard.



EUGEN DOGA - Ciocarlia
Asculta mai multe audio Muzica »

No comments: